Maeby!

Maeby!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday

It's a beautiful, brisk Sunday afternoon. You know, the kind where you are all bundled up to keep out the cold and you are drawn to the warmth of a comfy chair or bed. You wrap the blankets all up around you and as you sip your coffee you feel sleep drawing you deeper into the chair.

It's the kind of day where a dog is a perfect companion.

We've had many of these days lately, where I find myself in bed, lavishing in the sunshine that only comes through our bedroom windows. You can't get this light in any other room in the house. I flock towards my bedroom every day lately, in the afternoon. And guess who I invite to come with me? My pup.
My beautiful, faithful, dopey, tender, loving, gracious, intelligent, happy dog.

2 months. That's all the time that it's been since Amy and Steve brought Maeby into our lives. And in this small amount of time, I actually can't remember what it was like before her. Lonelier? Probably. Quieter? Yes. Less hopeful.

See, Maeby is like the sunshine coming through my bedroom window. I come home, and I flock towards her. She, like the sun, brings warmth and peace and stillness and a sense of being grounded. She refreshes me like the sun. She warms me dampened spirits. She lavishes love.

Maeby reminds me of Aslan. When I run my fingers through her fur, I think of Susan and Lucy running their fingers through His mane. It was comforting. It brought hope, and peace. God bringing Maeby into our lives was one of the biggest gifts that Ben and I have received.

It's like we are becoming better people knowing her, loving her, caring for her. We are becoming healthier, happier, gentler, united. It's a beautiful thing what a dog can do to your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment